Wild Mushroom Curry
‘Randai’ is a term used for Vegetable Gravy in GSB. These mushrooms are seasonal and are found somewhere close to the month of Shravan in some particular areas of Mumbai like Borivali, Palghar, etc. Since these mushrooms are found rarely and are extremely expensive, ‘Alambi Randai’ is a delicacy for the GSBs. Moreover, this Randai or thick gravy can be relished with Pola (soft dosas) or Set dosas (thick Polas) or Idli or eaten as it is with Chapati or Rice
Preparation time: approximately 45 mins
- 1/2 kg Mushroom
- 1/2 Coconut grated
- 3 Medium sized onions finely chopped
- 4/5 Red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1/2 tsp Tamarind
- 2 tbsp Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta)
- 1 tsp Oil (can use coconut oil too)
- Since the mushrooms are very muddy, firstly soak for a while and then wash thoroughly for a couple of times till the mud vanishes and the mushrooms are clean
- Next, chop the mushrooms finely
- In a vessel, take oil and add finely chopped onion
- After the onions soften, add the chopped mushroom
- Let it cook well
- You can also pressure cook the chopped mushroom separately for about 4 whistles
- It has to cook well and then add it to the roasted onion
- Let this cook well together for a few minutes
In the meanwhile,
- Fry dhania seeds and red chillies in 1/4 spoon of oil and keep aside
- In a mixer, add grated coconut, dhania seeds, red chillies, tamarind and make a fine paste of medium consistency
- Next, Add this to the boiling mixture of onion and mushroom and let it cook well
- Add salt and bring it to a boil
- Make a tadka in oil with mustard, kadipatta and hing
- To finish off, pour the tadka in the masala and mix well..cover with lid
Your delicious Randai is ready to be served!
This receipe can be prepared with cultured button mushrooms too, which are easily available in the local market. However, the taste may vary a little.
Don’t forget to hit that Like button and Follow our Page ‘Deepa’s Kitchen6’ on Facebook to know about our latest mouthwatering and tongue-tickling Posts and Pics!
To check out our full Menu, click Here
Do try out the yummylicious Alambi Randai Receipe and let us know how it turned out to be in the Comments Section below!!
Spread the love!